Search News and Information

Custom Search

March 25, 2005

Swingman Cometh

I've been hoping for a month that Wilkins would get in for regular minutes and Radmanovic gets healthy. But I didn't want it to go down like this for Radman. I knew he could shoot but I've been pleased to see that he's a little more like his dad.

On 3/21/05 his +/- was -20.

On 3/24/05 swung to +4.6.

The sporadic playing time prior to the Laker game made his +/- number meaningless since the sample used was statistically insignificant.

He had 16 points total before last nights game.

He has 76 total minute played. Last night he played 28 of those 76 minutes. The game before against the Bucks he played 10 minutes, the game before that he played 15 against the Lakers. Against the Bucks and Lakers he was productive on the defensive end of the floor. Last night he was just as good on the offensive end.

Last night against Portland he played 28 minutes, 7-10 FG, 2-3 3pt FG, 5-6 FT, 2 reb, 1 ast, 2 stl, 1 blk, 0 TO, 3 PF, 21 points.

The Blazers Miles was quieter after Wilkins entered the game as well. Miles was 4-4 before Wilkins came in and was 4-7 the rest of the game. That wasn't all Wilkins but it was more than a coincidence.

What do I think this means?

It means what I hoped it would mean, that is, that the Sonics have a swingman coming off the bench. He is replacing Rashard Lewis for 2 minutes. He's replacing Radmanovic for 1 minute. He's replacing Ray Allen for 1 minute. He's replacing Antonio Daniels for 1 minute. He's replacing Flip Murray for 1 minute.

All those little minutes are being spent covering up for not having a 6-6, 220 lb swingman on the bench. Well, there he is. He's young, he'll make mistakes, but he will give the Sonics more production in those 6 minutes (averaged) than what those other guys are doing trying to cover up that little hole in the line up.

I'm a little less nervous about Daniels and Radmanovic possibly leaving this summer with each passing game Wilkins plays. I won't entertain the thought of Allen leaving and leaving money on the table. I will think that the resigning of Allen will be less risk to the roster while Wilkins is here. As Allen would age Wilkins could take in a little bit more, as is the case in the way the Sonics develop players.

Wilkins has not shown that he's a starter or a wholesale replacement for the players we have, not yet. But, I remember what I saw a few months ago and saw what I've seen over the past 3 games. He can play.

With each passing game Radmanovic is losing leverage.

Maybe I've lost my mind. Look at the game flow from last night and see if you see something else.

No comments: