Search News and Information

Custom Search

December 02, 2007

Back to Ballmer, or Some Other Courtside Billionaire

SEATTLE - Seve Kellley in today's SEATTLE Times openly asks Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer to step in and champion the cause for the Sonics and Seattle to be together forever, in an open letter to Mr Ballmer.


"So I guess this is where you come in.

I believe the Sonics' move to Oklahoma City is a long way from being a done deal. A long way.

I know that, from Olympia to the Seattle City Council, bubbling under the surface, there are movers and shakers, trying to put together an arena deal that works, whether it's a remodeled Key or something new at the Seattle Center or elsewhere.

Hoop lovers with deep pockets and/or friends in the NBA hierarchy are meeting and texting and talking on their phones, trying to figure out ways to save the Sonics.

I don't know if you have attended any games this season, but the fan reaction inside KeyArena has been remarkable. I wish Stern could take in a few games.

I mean here's a young team that will be lucky to win 25 games. A team that is 3-14 and lost its first seven home games before winning its first on Friday. But in the fourth quarter of close games — and almost every home game has been close — these fans, who have been orphaned by the league, are on their feet.

They're cheering this team as if they can see into the future. They chant "Save Our Sonics" every night. They haven't given up.

But I think they need someone with your clout to give them hope. I know the national pundits need someone with your clout just to say, "Not so fast. We ain't done yet."

It's easy for someone with no money like me to tell someone like you how to spend your money. It's presumptuous as well.

This city's legion of basketball fans, however, needs a hero besides Kevin Durant. It needs you to say, "I love the game as much as you guys do and I'm here to help."

I know there is a lot of work left to do. But I'm tired of Stern bad-mouthing this city, even if it is just a negotiating trick. And I think Stern and the rest of the basketball-loving nation need to know the real story.

Basketball isn't dead yet in Seattle. The Seattle Sonics have a pulse. You, Mr. Ballmer, and other ardent gamers like you, must fight for this team.

Seattle needs someone with muscle to go public. Someone like you, who, according to my scouts, knows how the game is played.

Will you help? Please."
Read An open letter to Microsoft CEO and hoop maven Steve Ballmer here!


Thanks go to Mr Kelley for going directly and openly to a court-side billionaire to ask for help.
About a year ago I openly speculated that the team's fate could be tied to Back to Ballmer, or Some Other Court-side Billionaire.

June 12, 2006
I just believe this to be the case.

There was a rumor last year that Trader Bob Whitsett was part of a group looking to buy the Sonics. That rumor didn't go far. Yesterday Ric Bucher said on ESPN radio, NBA Finals Pre-game show, that Trader Bob has surfaced with Microsoft money that doesn't belong to Paul Allen. trader Bob is looking to buy the Blazers. I'll guess that Trader Bob will buy the Sonics with somebody else's money after his attempts to get control of the Blazers is thwarted. The selling price will be absurd, but that's ok since it isn't Bob's money he is spending, again.

I just believe this to be the case. Steve Ballmer sits courtside. I have wondered for a few years if he would have the desire to get involved with the Sonics mess.
Link back to the story here.


I don't think I have to tie Steve Kelley to Bob Whitsett for you.

No comments: