Search News and Information

Custom Search

November 29, 2007

New nickname for Chris Wilcox: Popcorn

SEATTLE - Last night the Orlando "we want an arena too" Magic beat the Seattle "arena Ceis to amaze me" SuperSonics.


The Sonics have two (2) wins, and a mini debate has been going on and on in various places on playing Chris Wilcox vs Nick Collison. Well, Collison is out for a few games with a busted face and Robert Swift is not yet ready to wear short pants either, leaving vet center Kurt Thomas and Chris Wilcox to defend Dwight "the beast" Howard. Howard is a load, no question about it, the Sonics didn't have an anwer last night. In a year Thomas will likely retire to the bench of some east coast team next year. He's a good vet that should be on a good vet team. A year after that, the end of 2009, Chris Wilcox will finish getting 6.75 million dollars for that season and I have to wonder after last night if he didn't make a mistake signing a short contract. If he expected to cash in in the summer of 2009 before last night he has to know that after being cast as a spectator on the defensive end of the floor last night that the level of cash just shrunk. While the ball was in some other player's hands, other than Howard's, Wilcox might as well have gotten a beer, seat, and popcorn. Howard walked into the paint as if alone in the building.
You have to defend your man away from the ball if you ever expect to win games and make money. At this point, when I feel like having some popcorn while watching the game I'll look in Wilcox's direction. I know, I'm not the spectator at the Sonics games.
I know Howard is a load but I didn't see Wilcox give anything near the effort the Thomas gave.
I didn't read much about Wilcox in most of the media reports on last night's game. I would like to know why. Maybe the Sonics only have two wins because the players are not very good, not talented, not trying. For Chris wilcox on defense, away from the ball, it's a trifecta.
Lucky for the team he has that short contact. Maybe Collison isn't the dunk machine that Wilcox is, but at least he knows how to play.

Seattle Times game story.


Have a great day,
Mr Baker

Sent from my iPhone

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, here we are, end of 2009 - and you are correct. Chris just signed a contract worth $3 million per year. Good stuff.

Mr Baker said...

you can learn a lot about a player by watch him on defense, away from the ball.

GP used to stand around, but always in position, with some contact with his man.

BTW, Thanks, I used this site, and my interest in the Sonics as a way to always write about something, to sharpen my thoughts.