Search News and Information

Custom Search

April 07, 2007

Winding Down the Sonics Season

SEATTLE - October 28, 2006 I posted my preseason story, my hopes, and now we are heading to the end.

In the end, I predicted the Sonics finsh the year on another up note after a start and winter not nearly as horrible as last season: 43-39, second in the NW Division, 7th seed in the west.
With Robert Swift I think they would have won 48 games, 1st in the NW Division, into the second round.
The leadership of Ray Allen will carry this team to a better record than maybe they should really have without Robert Swift in the line-up.


That's what I said back in October, I was wrong. I just didn't see the number of injuries rivaling turn of the century Golden State Warriors.


Here are some grades, you can't get a C (satisfactory) if you didn't get into the playoffs.

Danny Fortson: I never expected Danny Fortson to show up. I - Incomplete. Don't let the door hit ya' where the good lord done split ya'.

Robert Swift: I had high hopes for big Rob, but he was done for the year before my preseason story. I - Incomplete. I think he will shock some people next year, in a good way.


Kareem Rush: the much debated 15th player, nobody gives a rat's ass now, not as if I did then. No grade.

Ray Allen: Ray willl have played 55 games, one less than the Flip Murray career maker year of 2004. Ray did pretty well on balance, but the tunnel vision he and the team had in many games trying to work a play where the intended outcome is a 20 foot shot hurt the teamm as often as it helped. Maybe a stronger coach, or stronger desire to go to the post late in games might have pulled the triple teams off Ray. C-, know when to defer, and why it helps the team.


Rashard Lewis: His ball handling made him a better player. He passed the ball and it didn't always come back around to him. Rashard will get to 60 games by the end of the year. He's not giving Seattle a hometown discount, the Sonics will make it up in years, and he's back next year. C-. As I write this you have 6 games to show more while out of the shadow of Ray.



Earl Watson: pass the ball, turn it over less. Those are a couple basic things required of a PG. D-

Luke Ridnour: Stop trying to score every time you touch the ball. D-

I'd like to move one or both of Watson and Ridnour and replace that roster spot with one good PG, rather than the two players with giant holes in their games (and heads) we have right now.

Chris Wilcox: he and Collison stepped up in the second half of the season. Chris couldn't pass the ball to himself, or put himself in at the ends of games for a post option, that's on the coach and the team captains. D+, you missed too many rotations.

Nick Collison: Collison became the solid player I thought he was when he was drafted, a double-double guy every team needs. His fouls were more under control. D+

Damien Wilkins: I just don't think that guy wants to be here, the look on his face when he was interviewed last summer after the Sonics matched the contract off toold me a lot, he looked like somebody shot his dog, shocked, sad. The beginnning of the season saw Damien chuck a lot of shots, he was a real flow stopper. D-

Mickael (Gelly) Gelabale: I saw one preseason game and thought he was going to be about as good as he is. Some guys have a feel for space on the floor, that's him. He finds space for offensive rebounds that is hard to teach. His on the ball defense is as good as Damien Wilkins', maybe better. I think the Sonics could move Damien to a place that would make him happy, and Gelly could filll every minute Wilkins had this year. D+


Mo Sene: he's one of many projects, nobody knows today what will become of him, and that says something about the team. I - Incomplete for a couple years.

Johan Petro: I've been saying this for a while, he's not a center, and that's ok. There aren't too many centers in the NBA anymore. I see no reason, now or in the future, to get rid of him. His mid-range game has helped that team with something it doesn't have a lot of, big men that can score. He's 21 years old, he was a very good pick, it will take him 2 more years to defend well enough to get more rotation minutes. At the end of Wilcox's contract this team will have some tough choices, it's a good problem to have. D+

Mike Wilks: he is a great 3rd PG, being 5-10-ish will hold him back. If the Sonics draft a PG then Mike might be out of a job here. D-

Andre Brown: I'm not so sure how good he really is, but when he's in the game the other team knows it. He's an enforcer on a team that doesn't play much defense, so, here he may be overvalued. He could get the full Reggie Evans treatment, a few years at low pay, and leave for part of some team's mid level exception. It's win-win for another year or two. D+

Bob Hill: Thanks for helping the players learn some skills to be better, but I think the owner will clean house, so, grading your years is moot.

No comments: