Search News and Information

Custom Search

July 19, 2007

I've Got Spam from David Locke

SEATTLE - I'm not sure how or why David Locke has my email address. It could have been from several years ago when I subscribed to his blog/news thing, which I quickly unsubscribed from since it didn't provide any actual information that I didn't already know or didn't find useful. Still, that doesn't really explain why the spam I was sent was a straight email where my email address was on display along with the other 188 addressees.

Gosh David, thanks for sending my email address to 188 strangers, you idiot. Do you not know how to use a simple email program? It's called a blind carbon copy "Bcc", it allows you to send many people a message without exposing email addresses to everybody that receives it. I don''t know you personally, nor do I personally know any of my 188 new best friends.

Now that I've called David a dumbass, let's find out what treasure was so valuable that my email address was expendable (links omitted, he doesn't deserve it):


Hello Friend.

I hope this finds you well.

First things first -- Locked on Sports the web edition is back.

One thing I truly missed while with the Seattle Supersonics was the connection to the amazing Locked on Sports community that we built together in 8 years at 950,KJR. My termination from the Sonics has allowed me to bring that back. Therefore, Locked on Sports the web edition is back and rolling. We will cover all sports and all discussions no differently than before. The same research, numbers, analysis and opinions that made Locked on Sports are back.

Please sign up for the RSS feed on your RSS reader if applicable.

The goal is to do some really fun things with the blog, interviews, live blogs, video and other new technologies I can't disclose. More importantly, what do you want from the Locked on Sports blog?

I passionately want to re-build the Locked on Sports community and expand it. I am very impressed with many of the Sports bloggers in town and I plan to integrate their work and support their efforts. My goal is for the comment zone to become the Seattle Sports fans and beyond forum. I will take those comments that resonate and move them into the primary blog for further discussion. You are vital.

What are my plans?

Many people have asked what my plans are for the future. Honestly, i don't have the faintest clue. I am fortunate that my contract still has some time on it so I have the luxury to look. This little turn of events was not in the plans. However, I have believed for a long time that the sports world and the sports fan is evolving and I want to really investigate that and figure out where it is going and what a sports fan wants. In addition, I am going to look at all possibilities both in and out of broadcasting and in and out of sports.

For the time being I am going to re-build what we lost over the last 15 months at Locked on Sports.

Thanks to all of you who have sent nice comments or who have dropped positive words on the messages boards around the world.

See you at Locked on Sports -- the wed edition. I look forward to re-building Locked on Sports.


David Locke


Oh, thank god, I've been called upon to help somebody make a great blog by providing the unimaginative some ideas so he can make his blog better. Umm, well, if I had a great idea for a blog I would act on the idea myself. I'll guess that a fair amount of my new 188 close email buddies would do the same.

Please, David, don't ever email me again, you idiot, you bring nothing to the table as far as I'm concerned.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds overly harsh to me. Aggregating Seattle sport blog content for another chance to be viewed and serving as a gateway for making new readers for small blogs could be useful; it is has worked at other levels. Yeah it is a pyramid and feeding off others to a degree but if you get something worthwhile in exchange it could be a fair proposition. All depends on the execution. Let's see.

Mr Baker said...

1. "Sounds overly harsh to me." He sent my personal email address to 188 strangers.

2. Maybe you didn't listen to his radio show, anytime some caller didn't agree with him, or made a minor mistake he would be overly harsh. His "show" often became unlistenable for the rants he lay on some schmoe. Ack! Instant karma for David.

3. "Aggregating Seattle sport blog content for another chance to be viewed and serving as a gateway for making new readers for small blogs could be useful; it is has worked at other levels." If I cared about having as many readers as possible I would have kept my mouth shut about the things I didn't like there and kept on writing for SonicsCentral.

Anonymous said...

You have a privacy right reason to be upset some but I bet a lot of people make that e-mail mistake at least once before being called on it and perhaps learning the better way. Many opportunities for e-mail harvesting pass without harm and I'd guess the odds are heavily in your favor on not experiencing ill-effect on this one.

I listened to his show a lot for years and know the good and the bad. I will writeoff some cases for good but I try to tolerate those with good sides and I see enough of that in Locke.

Ok you're not interested in blog aggregration but maybe some of the other folks are. It was an offer.

I hear your points but thought I'd share other view. Thanks for the read/reply.