Search News and Information

Custom Search

May 21, 2006

Turning a Negative into a Positive

The Sonics have announced that David Locke will be the third play-by-play radio announcer in the team's 40-year history. Congratulations go to David and the Sonics.

First, the bad news. As a radio talk show host on KJR-am in Seattle David was a tireless worker in a state of perpetual self-promotion. His endless self-aggrandizing made me nauseous, and his propensity for pointing out when he thought he was being cute was the worst radio ever to be broadcast over the air. His use of statistics is useful, his over-emphasis on his work with numbers is not. It's his job to look up facts, assemble them in a way that support some kind of argument, for the three hours he is on the radio. Of course, I can get better numbers at 82games.com and not have to listen to David's personal life. David's radio show, Locked on Sports, is a gem, but hearing "are you a loyalist" to his email list every 11 minutes is too much. I was a loyalist for about two months: it was of zero benefit to me as a Sonics fan. I got off the list after I had discovered that I was not reading anything that I didn't already know and I was deleting the emails along with the other spam. Thank go that's over with.

Now, the good news. David Locke actually did a pretty fair job on the Sonics radio broadcasts. I do find his play-by-play a bit shrill but I suspect that will get toned down after his 80th game. It might be good for the team, on balance, that he'll work like crazy to get people to listen to him. In the end his look at me attention getting might actually draw people to Sonics games in-spite of him.

It will be a rare occasion where I end up without hearing Kevin Calabro. That's just a fact.

--
supersonicsfan

No comments: